To stimulate the knowledge and love of gardening; to share the advantages of association by means of educational meetings, conferences, correspondence and publications; and to restore, improve and protect the quality of the environment through programs and action in the fields of conservation, civic improvement and education.
The Akron Garden Club, the first garden club in Akron, was founded by Mrs. F. A. Seiberling in 1924 at her home, Stan Hywet Hall, for “the advancement of gardening and stimulation of interest in the preservation and enhancement of the natural beauties of Akron and vicinity.” The club was a charter member of the Garden Club of Ohio in 1927 and instrumental in the founding of the Garden Forum of Greater Akron in 1932. The Akron Garden Club became a member of The Garden Club of America in 1945 and is considered a leader among its 200 clubs.
Throughout its history, The Akron Garden Club’s members have devoted their energy and expertise to horticulture, conservation and civic improvement projects in our community. The club’s first project was developing and planting a city park near the entrance of Glendale Cemetery. Nearly a century later, The Akron Garden Club has continued to preserve and enhance downtown Akron by helping to establish Cascade Locks Park.
The Akron Garden Club is also known for rescuing more than 160,000 native wildflowers from the path of construction, working to eradicate invasive species in Cuyahoga Valley National Park, supporting Summit Metro Parks, opposing billboards and holding avant-garde flower shows at Akron Art Museum. Dearest of all to many members is providing funds and hands-on gardening assistance to maintain Stan Hywet’s English Garden, said to be the favorite reading spot of the club’s founder.
Photo credit: Joe Levack